You may be exempt or qualify for a waiver from the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) assessment if any of the following applies to you:
- ACT: Composite score of 23 or higher with at least a 19 on both English and math sections
- On a single test administration prior March 5, 2016, have an SAT composite score of 1070 with at least 500 on the Verbal (Critical Reading) and Math sections.*
- On a single test administration on or after March 5, 2016, have an SAT score of 480 on the Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW) test and a score of 530 on the mathematics test.*
- TAKS: Minimum score of 2200 on both the English and/or math sections with at least a 3 on the writing component of the 11th-grade TAKS (for a period of 3 years from the date of testing)
- You have a minimum score of 2000 (Level 2) on the STAAR English III EOC for reading or writing and a minimum score of 4000 (Level 2) on the STAAR Algebra II EOC.
- Military service: Honorably discharged, retired or released from active duty as a member of the Armed Forces on or after August 1, 1990
- You are a transfer student from an accredited TAKS private institution of higher education or an accredited out-of-state institution with acceptable college-level course work determined by the receiving institution
- Texas A&M University- Corpus Christi has elected to use the following course work with the grade of A, B, C, or Pass/Credit to meet the following standards:
- Math readiness standard – College Algebra (MATH 1314) or higher,
- Reading readiness standard – a three-credit hour course in history, political science/government, economics, philosophy, or Composition I (ENGL 1301) or Composition II (ENGL 1302) and
- Writing readiness standard – Composition I (ENGL 1301) or Composition II (ENGL 1302).
If you are not exempt in one or more areas (Reading, Writing, or Math), you will need to have a TSI assessment for any remaining subject area(s) for which you are not exempt.
- You are serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, Texas National Guard, or Reserve Component of Armed Forces and have been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment. (Required - documentation that shows at least three years).
- You are a non-degree seeking, visiting student. (You must complete a TSI waiver contract). At the point you become degree-seeking, TSI standards must be met. It should be duly noted that, at the point in which you become a degree-seeking student, you will be required to meet TSI standards.
- You have successfully completed a college preparatory course under Texas Education Code §28.014 with one of our partnering school districts or institutions of higher education.*
TSI Assessment and testing resources are available at Texas A&M University and in the community. For more information about the TSI assessment at the University, visit Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi’s Academic Testing Center.
The university’s Center for Academic Student Achievement (CASA) offers tutoring as well in all three areas covered by the TSI Assessment. It is highly recommended that you first review some practice exams and then meet with a tutor to discuss your strengths and weaknesses on the exam. Tutors can best help you if you present them with specific questions. You can find out more about CASA tutoring by clicking here.
Del Mar College offers testing resources and information about the TSI assessment. You can find out more about the institution’s testing services here.
Coastal Bend College also has several testing centers throughout South Texas. You can get more information about its testing services here.